Just reading that post title you already know this is a golden idea, don’t you?
Recently I read this article on LinkedIn about ‘WalmartPalooza’ – which is what the author of that post calls the Walmart shareholder’s meeting. By the author’s description, it is a spectacle. The post is short, give it a read and imagine the grand affair. Then, if your curiosity is piqued, give this a try.
That second link is Walmart’s website for the event which has links to videos of the meeting AND perhaps most importantly, a nice looking showcase of tweets from people who attended.
In case you DON’T want to read the article – the event highlights Wal-Mart’s successes over the past year (typical I think for a shareholder meeting) except this one is MC’d by a celebrity, this year it was Reese Witherspoon, and there are other celebrity acts as well (Rod Stewart and Ricky Martin). It feels like a political party’s rally, where only the positives are allowed into the building and the focus is on optimism, glitz and glamor.
Here’s why I’m interested in this event: movie potential.
- One of them is a celebrity act who cares deeply about helping the environment and social issues but … also likes the sweet pay day from Wal-Mart
- One of them is said celebrity’s agent
- One of them is new Wal-Mart employee who is buying into the hype
- One of them is jaded Wal-Mart employee
- One of them is mid-level corporate … high up enough to go along but not so high up as to not feel a little dirty
Heck. What am I doing. They know better than I. Or maybe you do. What do you think? To me, this is a gem of an opportunity.