This week I am doing no blogging*, and instead focusing on some laziness, reading, beach time, and hanging out with my family.
When I thought about this trip I looked forward to it for an odd reason: I would be doing nothing. I can’t imagine myself looking forward to that when I was a kid.
“So … we’re gonna drive to a place … To do nothing? I can do that here! I don’t have my video games there, so what’s the point of this!?”
In college my reasons were different but the result was the same – vacations aren’t for doing nothing.
But now … Now I’m happy with the idea. What has changed? Have I become … a GROWN-UP!?
Let’s check the “Are You a Grown-Up?” checklist:
- Do you eat boring cereal in the morning? Yes.
- While eating that cereal, do you read or watch the news? Yes.
- When you hear about some optimistic news of some great change that is going to happen, do you acknowledge the news with a skeptical grunt (even if no one is around to hear you)? Sometimes.
- Do you for some reason always have change in your pocket? No. (Maybe it was just my dad, but I swear every night the same bit of change went on the nightstand, and then back in the pocket in the next morning.)
- Would you rather spend your Sunday reading the paper than playing video games? Haha Lord, no. (Hey, I’m being honest.)
- Do you make comments about how politicians are weasels? Yes.
Congratulations, self, you are mostly grown-up. Now go take some “vitamin M” (aka motrin) for the ache in your back you have from sleeping on the floor (when I was a kid sleeping on the floor had no side-effects), grab a froufrou magazine, some coffee and enjoy the beauty of doing nothing.
*I reserve the right to change my mind and blog quotes of my nephews, nieces, and my punk uncle commentary on them.